Thursday, December 31, 2020

Ten Years Since My Stroke


Me and my sister, Cherie.  2010. 
Showing off my lopsided grin. 
This is when my left side still didn't work well.


 2020 marks 10 years! 10 years ago I had my stroke. I have learned so much during this journey. I have come a long way.  My biggest lesson has been that I can keep improving. I can keep getting stronger and find a little bit more of the old me. Never think that a stroke has defined your abilities.

My biggest improvement is with my physical stamina and my left leg and arm strength. This year I started going on walks which led to hiking again for the first time post stroke. It hasn't been super far and the ground has to be fairly smooth, but I am hiking! I walk about 3-5 miles each time. My daughter, Tiffany, says that she thinks I am the fittest she has ever seen me.  What a wonderful compliment! 

I am also getting stronger with my balance. I have focused on yoga to help with this.

More improvements include: I am driving a little farther on my own. I'm getting a little braver. I can wear a little a bit of jewelry now. I've learned more coping techniques to deal with my sensory overloading. 

My daughter-in-law, Brianna, has told me that she can no longer tell that I had a stroke and she definitely could when she first met me 6 years ago. I no longer explain to people that I have had a stroke. My stroke does not define me.

I still have things to work on. Some things may never improve, like my arm. My focus is on what I can improve. I tell people: I am the turtle, not the hare. And like the turtle, I keep moving forward.

2020 has been a hard year in a lot of ways, but I am grateful for the quiet time, the personal time I have had to focus a little more on my healing.


My mother-in-law, Nancy, and me with our 2010 injuries:
She had a partial leg amputation. 
I had a stroke and starting wearing a glove and jacket to keep my arm warm. 
The warmth takes the edge off the pain.

2020: Me learning yoga.



2020: Me on a walk in Southern Utah.
Yep, still wearing the glove. It's become part of my fashion.
And I started wearing a watch this year. 
On the right arm, but I'm wearing a watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment